Monday, June 06, 2005

I got book tagged

Yipeee, I got book tagged! Just discovered about this latest blog phenomenon yesterday and the bug bit me today. Well Percy, you didn’t catch me by surprise. I am quite thrilled about writing down this stuff, but it’s also a challenge. Even studying for accounts in my final year was easier. People you cant list your top 5 books. Can I list authors instead? Hmm I need time to compile this stuff. (I take my book reading very seriously. No seriously, I do.)

Well this continues after 15 minutes of serious thought. Now I am up for the challenge.

Total Number of books I have

Don’t have a total count. My books are everywhere in Mumbai, Hyderabad, Pune and even some I left behind in the US (which haven’t arrived as yet). I guess the figure ranges somewhere in 300’s. (I wouldn’t be surprised if it exceeds it)

Last book I read

1) House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus III - My friend loved it and gifted me this book. Some of the characterizations are really good. Not a great book. But good enough for a casual read.

2) Story of my experiments with truth by MK Gandhi – It has been on from two months. Since each chapter is a individual story am taking my time with it. I guess it has it has lost its flavor as the book is good only in parts. He has been quite frank and it is interesting to see him speak so freely about himself. He was a mystery and just a figure whose name kept popping in history. Now I can imagine the person he was. Though I don’t necessarily agree with all he says and his practices.


Last Book I bought

The Prophet – Khalil Gibran - The old copy was crying for retirement


Five books that mean a lot to me

Now I thought this involved a lot of head scratching, but suddenly they all slipped out quite easily and they are in no particular order of importance. These are books I can read over and over again.

1) Siddhartha – Herman Hesse
2) Alchemist – Paul Cohelo
3) Ishmael and My Ishmael – Daniel Quinn (Yes, I am going to cite the two books as one for two reasons. One, they are complimentary- if you read one, you just have to read the other. Two, I get to state two more books that mean a lot to me)
4) Tuesdays with Morrie – Mitch Albom
5) Little Prince – Antoine De Saint-Exupery

Ok please let me name a few more, Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemmingway, One and Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach, Notes to Myself by Hugh Prather, all books by Ruskin Bond and some of Osho’s works. (OK I shall stop, but this sucks. I want to name more. Sob sob)


People I’d like to tag

Mitali
Pavi
Rish

There I did it! And learnt how to add external links in the process too. Blogging rocks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting that we both have Tuesdays with Morrie on our lists. And, you cheated by putting more books. I wanted to do that too, but sometimes I am too proper. Arrgh!

PS: And, as I was telling another (woman) friend, all women love Johnathan Livingstone Seagull.

PPS: I love the Alchemist too.